Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why I love Kung-Fu class

I grew up during the Ninja craze. Looking back it's a bit odd that my parents didn't really mind that I watched movies that involved throwing stars finding their targets in people's eyes - remember the opening scene of Revenge of the Ninja? Anyway, it wasn't the blood that I was interested in, it was the moves... and the weapons were oh so cool. Ther was just something about the martial arts in general that drew me.

So in 5th grade I got into Tae Kwon Do - it had just arrived in my small town. I loved it until a string of migraine like headaches took me out of classes. Looking back I think I was probably pretty terrible at it, but it sure was fun. (despite the fact that the instructor was really not the nicest guy to learn from).
In my teens I tried to go back, but I was so out of shape I turned purple. Slow down they said, but I couldn't do it half-heartedly. It was all or nothing for me, so it had to be nothing at that point.

In the back of my mind I always had a desire to get back into some form of martial arts. I'd gotten into fitness big time in my late 20s (I was actually quite ripped at one point - and I will be again, mark my words!) So when I came to Creston, I figured it would be a good way to to keep in shape and maybe meet some people. And maybe I wouldn't turn purple. One day we were at a flea market and there on a table was business card for a free month of Kung-Fu at Red Jade Martial Arts. So I looked it up on the internet and was at first thoroughly confused. I had no idea what all this talk about different styles was, and this history of the Ma family, and the eight shadows. But it sounded cool, there was mention of weapons training and when I emailed him this Sifu Neil Ripski character seemed like a cool guy. So I went. I was glad I did. One class and I was hooked!

The style we train is a family style. Unlike the TKD I took which was military style and involved a lot of lines and army style drills. Red Jade really is a family. Class is usually taught in a circle, it's much less formal, much more friendly and there's a great camaraderie that develops between Kung-Fu brothers and sisters.

I can only speak from my own experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone. But for me, there's something special about this coming together in a small group and working, sweating and learning together. When I started I was going through some really - no, let's say extremely - stressful times at work. Like nervous breakdown stressful. But after a day of frustration I'd go to class, and within minutes the outside world, work, and all the other stresses, ceased to exist. The school is like a sanctuary - fitting considering that Kung-Fu evolved in monastic temples and family compound courtyards. In that space I am in the moment. I am pushing my body to it's limits. Dripping sweat. Thinking in new ways and drinking from a sea of ancient knowledge. Sifu Ripski has been practicing Kung-Fu since he was little and the depth of knowledge he has is awe-inspiring. He's actually a bit younger than me. I can only imagine what he'll be like when he's an old man since he's still learning! Learning from him is an honour and privilege (yes, he'll read this but I'm not sucking up... much - I'm being sincere). I think Creston is very lucky to have Red Jade. It's a very special place and special family - at least to me.

Yes, the style itself is great, and I like Kung-Fu for being Kung-Fu etc. But had this same club been another martial art, I likely would have been almost as happy - unless it was some rigid military style. I enjoy the laughing and joking around just as much as anything else. Then, there's the friends, of course.

I'm kind of a socially awkward person. I don't have many friends and I find making friends a bit like dating - except with dating there are certain rules. The other person knows what to expect, what your intention is. Not so with making friends. As an adult you can't just say "will you be my friend" like you did when you were a kid - they'll think you're mentally challenged or something! So when I encountered at Red Jade a group of adults my own age with similar interests I was pretty excited. I mean, after 6 years in Winnipeg and 4 in Vancouver I hadn't made a single friend outside work and school (and those friendships didn't really exist much outside those places) - yep, I'm a bit of a loser that way. Just a bit. Unfortunately at first I let my excitement show a little bit too much. One of my Kung-Fu siblings later described me as "an annoying over-enthusiastic little puppy" - thanks Jase! Anyway, my excitement waned shortly after. I did still find friends there. But it's more that your average sit around drinking beers and chatting kind of friendship in a way. There's a certain connection and level of trust that necessarily develops when you're swinging punches and kicks at each other and trusting that you won't get hurt - not seriously anyway. It really is like a family. That's a big part of why I love it.

Honestly, if it weren't for Red Jade, I likely wouldn't have stayed in Creston. With my work-from-home job I could go just about anywhere, and when it was looking like our original reason for coming to Creston - to be close to the in-laws - was maybe not such a good thing, I considered moving elsewhere. But I couldn't bear the thought of leaving Red Jade.

So thank you Sifu and my Kung-Fu brothers and sisters.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Marc, its great having you as a part of our family! We should all have a BBQ or something soon!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and comment - you know you want to.