Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Made it! Road trip update

First off to those who have been reading - thanks for all the comments. The comments think was a widget that some blog directory required me to use - Blog catalog I think - I'll try to figure out why it will only accept guest. Maybe you have to be logged in to blogger first?

Made it!



We made it. We drove with only short breaks about 1800 kilometres from BC to Manitoba via Montana and North Dakota. It took about 26 hours. I id all the driving and yes, I was very tired, but forced myself to stay awake a few more to visit and get a normal night's sleep so as not to totally mess up my sleep schedule.

So as expected, we did have adventures on the road trip. They just weren’t the ones we anticipated. The car made it fine – still sputtering but no major problems. But the guy at the place I just got my oil changed at thinks I may have to get the timing belt fixed - there goes another $600 down the tube!

The borders both going in and coming out were quick and painless – didn’t even wait in line. Though I got anxious every time I swiped my credit card – fully expecting a decline – it came back approved every time.

Somehow I had completely forgotten about motion sickness – both my daughters spent much of the time looking green and emptied their stomachs a few times. Luckily we always keep some empty yogurt containers in the car just for that eventuality!

The dogs were great except for one error in communication. You see, there was lightning the entire night. At first, River was OK with it, which was a bit of a surprise because he usually freaks out at thunderstorms. So when, after a break in the storm, the lightning came back and he started whining, we assumed it was the storm causing him to be upset. So we just did our best to calm him down, though we puzzled as to why the first storm hadn’t upset him, but this one did. Our discussion was interrupted by a foul smell and our daughters gagging and screaming about the horrible” smell. But River wasn’t whining anymore. I really must apologize to the people who adopted that portion of highway in Eastern Montana. I usually would not even consider littering, but there was no way I was going to travel the next 100 miles with a bag full of dog poop and the baby wipes I used to clean it up riding shotgun.

On another item, I am considering suing whoever at the Montana Department of Transportation is responsible for marking the bumps on the section of road construction happening on the Eastern section of highway 2. The first bump they labelled with massive sign turned out to be insignificant. So too with the second so called "bump". The third actual real bump, which would be more aptly described as the road equivalent of rapids rather than a bump, was labelled as “detour”. We arrived at the detour doing the recommended 35 MPH only to find ourselves flung up and down as if we’d just hit a section of speed-bumps at high speed. I’ve never done rodeo, but I imagine that this is what attempting to ride a bull feels like. My poor wife’s fibromyalgic muscles immediately responded by spasming severely and proceeding to cause her hours of excruciating pain on top of her already considerable pain. So if by some stroke of coincidence the man or woman responsible for labelling those bumps is reading this – I’d like you to do penance by driving that section at 50 MPH at least 10 times. Then your mistake will be forgiven and you can go and screw-up no more.

On the very much positive side, gas was at least 1/3 cheaper in the States versus Canada. Same with food. And that’s even taking exchange into consideration. The change of scenery was nice, though I wish we’d had time and money to stop at some of the attractions – like the “Bear drive-thru” where “your car is the cage.” And the amusement park with the maze and go-carts. And Glacier National Park river rafting.

There are some more details of the trip I will post later - since I'm borrowing a connection right now. My folks are in dial-up land, at Manipogo. So I'm taking advantage of my sister's high-speed while we're here in Dauphin (about an hour's drive from my parent's place). We came today instead of he planned trip on Wednesday because I had to take Niqi to the hospital for a severe fibromyalgia flare. She couldn't walk on her own, her pain was 14 out of 10 and her muscles were spasming and twitching. Not fun. Anyway, we decided to go to the closest hospital in Ste-Rose. The hospital has no Dr's apparently, they're all in the clinic. So after being seen at the hospital we had to go the clinic to see the doc, then back to the hospital. Sounds bad, but it wasn't - took maybe an hour. In contrast I once went to an ER in Downtown Vancouver with severe abdominal pain and was left curled up in a fetal position on the floor and vomiting for 4 hours before being seen. Then they kicked me out while I was still hopped up on morphine and in no condition to walk, because they needed the bed. Thank goodness for small town hospitals!!!


Will post again in a couple of days with pictures and video. Cheers everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safely! Sorry to hear it had its rough spots but hopefully you can now enjoy time with family!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and comment - you know you want to.